Sunday 29 January 2012

Getting old....

I am officially old and boring. I suppose I have known this for some time now; but the harsh reality hit me as I lay in the bath this evening and put Radio 1 on which was playing 'the hit parade' aka the top 40. I didn't know ANY of the songs, or indeed, the artists. Florida (spelt Flo'Rida or similar apparently).. Last I heard it was a state in the US, but now, he is, apparently a rapper. Lots of loud 'plinky plonky' songs. I may as well have been reading a handbook on quantum physics - I probably would have known more (and what I know about quantum physics is how to spell it).

I remember sneering about old people when I was young. & when I say old people, I mean anyone over the age of 25. (Once you get past a certain point though, you become 'old'. I have (unbelievably I know), become less tolerant over time and more ranty. I thought I might chill out a bit more as the slide to retirement started - but no... Anyway, I digress)... I used to think I was invincible, that old age happened to people who deserved it and that I would be able to go through life until I was at least 80, eating lots of junk, never exercising and staying 8 stone. (This became cruelly snatched away at the age of 27ish - yeah, thanks for that)...

People say 'age is just a number', 'you're only as old as you feel'. True, I suppose, but here a just a few of the ailments/symptoms that have gotten worse as age has increased:

More chin hairs. Hubs and I have already decided that I will have laser treatment when it gets 'too' much. Also, it's a bit cringey when we're in the pub and he asks me to hold still whilst he offers to pull out my hairs.......

Memory loss. I used to have a photographic memory - bordering on genius, even if I do say so myself. At uni, I starred in Othello as Othello (just don't ask) and I learnt the whole part in 1 week. I struggle to remember my shopping list these days. Well, maybe not, but my days of learning plays in 7 days are long gone.

Grey hairs. As someone who was a bottle blonde for over 20 years, I'm not entirely sure when the greys actually started appearing, but I can't keep the buggers away now. I have to dye my brown hair religiously every 4 weeks now.

Eyesight. I am very lukcy to have been blessed with flawless eyesight, but I can no longer read bus signs from miles away *sigh*

Not knowing any songs or artists in the top 40. Actually, that's no bad thing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment